Thursday, November 6, 2008

It's Official

We are officially moving to Saginaw, Michigan in January!!!
Our time in Michigan is known as 5th semester where students receive an Advanced Introduction to Clinical Medicine (AICM). Only 40 students are accepted to attend Michigan so this is a big achievement for Josh. Our other options were to stay in Dominica for another semester (not really an option for us!) or to move to Miami. Miami is a more established location and is in the same location where Josh attended school (MERP) before we got married. After his experience there and with a goal to save some money, we decided to aim for Michigan. We are so excited to finally know where we are going.

In Michigan, Josh will concurrently attend class, visit nursing homes and hospitals while studying for his first licensing exam, USMLE Step 1. His scores on this test will largely determine where he completes his 3rd and 4th year of medical school. This score also greatly affects which area of medicine he will specialize in and his Residency placement after he graduates in 2011. A lower score on the Step 1 exam will likely make certain specialties like orthopedic surgery, viritually impossible to get accepted to. It is unfortunate how much weight is placed on these licensing exams but I guess it is to attract the most qualified medical students. (I am just not a big fan of standardized tests but luckily Josh is great at them!)

7 comments:

Kate said...

CONGRATULATIONS! How great to know where you're going. Yay for Michigan!

Nicholas Cupps said...

It will be nice to have you guys a little closer. Congrats

Anonymous said...

That's going to be a big switch for you, going from tropical heat to northern-ish Michigan, but I think MI weather is similar to NY and you know what that's like. Say hi to Michigan for me. I lived in Holland and Kalamazoo. Tulip Festival in Holland in May is fun. Never made it there, but I hear the upper peninsula is gorgeous. Mackinaw Island by the UP bridge is supposed to be pretty cool, too.

Pam said...

Congratulations! Have fun!

mapacupps said...

HEY! HEY! HEY! I'm so excited that you not only know where you are going BUT you will be closer to family. That is the best news. Can't wait to see you guys.

Kristin said...

Congratulations! That will be nice to be closer to your parents and Nick and Denise. Although I was hoping you would come to Utah (we need all the Democrats we can get!).

Krista said...

Ha ha. I think it would take more than just Josh and I moving there to make a difference... but I guess it is a start! Yummy Cafe Rio.