Wednesday, November 19, 2008

C is for CFL

C is for Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFL)
Replacing just one 100 Watt incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb will save a household $30 dollars in energy cost over the life of the bulb and saves 2000 times its own weight in greenhouse gases. In addition, the lifespan of a CFL is anywhere from 8 - 15 times the lifespan of a regular bulb. Don't be deterred by the price tag (roughly $2 dollars a bulb). Experts guarantee this cost is paid back, with lowered energy costs, in just one month of use.
It is important to dispose of a CFL properly because they contain traces of mercury. So just like electronics ie cellular phones, make sure you avoid discarding CFL in your regular trash and "Take them to a universal waste collection center or recycle CFL at a participating retail store".

I am learning so much from researching green topics but this series is sure time consuming. I hope you are enjoying it so far. Whenever something interesting happens here, I will be sure to blog about that too. Josh and I are both feeling a little sick today. We actually took a nap this afternoon but still feel very exhausted. Probably something in the water!

3 comments:

Courtney Herda said...

I love this "going green" series. Don't give it up; it's such an important message. I'm all about the CFLs, the canvas bags, etc. and can't wait to hear what else you have as you get deeper into the alphabet.

Krista said...

I am excited you are excited! I might need some more motivation around letter Q!!! :)

Nicholas Cupps said...

For those of you who missed my last post...

Personally I like using plastic. Knowing that they kill so many innocent creatures is reason enough for me to promote their use.

To find out more, go to my blog, killallthedolphins.blogspot.com. It's a great place to learn the best ways to pollute the environment and share stories of how dolphins continue to undermine us all!!

Seriously, check it out!