Friday, November 21, 2008

E is for Eat locally

EAT Locally (whenever possible)

Do you ever wonder how far your food has traveled just to get to you?



"Food miles refer to the distance a food item travels from the farm to your home. The food miles for items you buy in the grocery store tend to be 27 times higher than the food miles for goods bought from local sources. "


"In the U.S., the average grocery store’s produce travels nearly 1,500 miles between the farm where it was grown and your refrigerator. About 40% of our fruit is produced overseas and, even though broccoli is likely grown within 20 miles of the average American’s house, the broccoli we buy at the supermarket travels an average 1,800 miles to get there. Notably, 9% of our red meat comes from foreign countries, including locations as far away as Australia and New Zealand." (http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/buylocal/)



I personally don't like the idea of my "fresh" fruits and vegetables traveling 1,500 miles before it touches my lips. In many cases, produce items like tomatoes are picked very prematurely because they will ripen while within the delivery trucks. (Hence the horrendous taste of grocery store tomatoes.) In addition, most of these fruits and vegetables are sprayed with preservatives and other chemicals to help prevent spoilage during this long commute.



I remember when I was at the University of Utah, I visited a local farmers market a few times in the Fall. These vendors had some of the most delicious produce I had ever tasted. I learned more about the natural season of foods, which foods are in season at a particular time. I have grown up in a time when I am able to get just about any food item I want at anytime. However, I have learned that this convenience comes with a price and a few sacrifices.



Why Eating Locally Rocks:

1. Supports your local economy. Being married to a farmboy has given me a new appreciation for the hard work running a farm demands. Unfortunately it has become one of the most difficult businesses to sustain. "The majority of the money spent on grocery store food goes to suppliers, processors, middlemen and marketers. Only 3.5 cents of each dollar actually goes to the farmer. If you buy food from a farmers market or farm stand, you can be sure that most, if not all, of your money is going directly to the farmer." http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/buylocal/)

2. Taste! Anyone who has visited a farmers market or who has planted a garden knows that the difference in taste between locally grown produce and grocery store produce is as different as night and day. (YUM, my mouth is watering for a delicious farmers market peach!)

3. Getting to know the people who grow your food. While researching this topic, I learned of a group called the 100 Mile Diet Society. As their name indicates, these members pledge to only eat foods that are grown and distributed within 100 miles of their home. I am not advocating for this group but it is an interesting concept and takes tremendous commitment. Eating locally is a great way to engage with the farmers who work hard everyday to bring you fresh foods. These farmers need your help more than ever and you won't regret the experience!!

4. Food Seasons. Here are some of the basic produce seasons:

May; bedding plants, greens
June; strawberries, greens, lettuce, green onions, carrots
July; raspberries, tomatoes, assorted veggies
August; raspberries, peaches, assorted veggies, corn
September; watermelons, cantaloupes; assorted veggies; blackberries
October; gourds, squash, late melons, pumpkins, greens



I purposefully entitled the blog "Eat locally, whenever possibly" because it is not feasible for every single American to eat locally all the time. Our population has grown to a level that requires importation of foods from other countries. We are also required to grow foods on a large scale and transport these foods for great distances to a variety of location. My hope is that we utilize our local resources "when possible". It may be convenient and at times even cost effective to get everything you need at a large grocery store. But you will not regret the experience and the taste if you take the time to visit your local farmers market and support your local economy!

2 comments:

mapacupps said...

There was a comment on the radio yesterday morning regarding this exact idea and they told this area where all the local "farmer's markets" were. There's nothing like fresh produce.
Wanting to have fresh produce is another good reason to grow your own garden. You can't get it fresher than that.

Krista said...

I can't wait until Josh and I can move away from apartment living and have a yard someday!