
We just celebrated our one month anniversary in Dominica and are about to celebrate our two month anniversary as Mr. and Mrs. Adamow. We are shocked how quickly time is passing. Only 15 months to go and if you include breaks, just 13 months! I think it is fascinating how easily we have adapted to this different way of living.
Examples:
- Hot water switch for the shower - which 9 out of 10 times only makes the water tolerable. And the other time the water is boiling hot. What is that about?!
- Stray dogs EvErYwHeRe. We have a pile of rocks on our front porch that Josh uses to scare barking dogs away at all hours of the night.
- Overpriced groceries even for a first world country.
- Pre-paid electricity - it is really depressing to see the power meter drop rapidly. We use about 2-5 dollars a night for the air conditioner and another few dollars everyday for our fridge, microwave, and TV. I guess I have a new appreciation for my parents tolerating and paying for my addiction to long hot showers and lots of heat in the cold New York winters. Thanks mom and dad!
- No Car- As sad as it is, we are so dependant on our vehicles. There is a jeep for sale by the university and everyday Josh says, "Please?!" It would be so handy having a vehicle but really not necessary. It forces us to walk everywhere which is great.
Even though we have had some hard times adjusting and still have really bad days (mostly just me), we really like it here. The produce is so fresh, the ocean is a 5 minute walk away, we go kayaking and sailing, Monday night football, having started figuring out cooking here, we can even get pizza, and we have already made some really great friends. Josh has his first big exams in two weeks. So expect more frequent entries!
2 comments:
Wow! It's really been a month? Times flies. Before you know it, we'll be seeing you in NY. We finally got some plane tickets, and I'm thrilled that our WHOLE family will be there for a WHOLE week! It will be so fun.
I hope things are going well for you. We are a little jealous... Q & I both have a soft spot for places like Dominica (well, if it's anything like some of the places we lived in South America). You guys look great.
I just re-read my comment. It should say "TIME flies" and not "times flies." Sorry for not proof-reading. How annoying!!
Post a Comment