Thursday, December 4, 2008

L is for Ladybugs

Ladybugs

If you don't enjoy using pesticides in your garden or around your yard, consider buying bugs to get the same results. Just one ladybug can nix the need for pesticides by consuming 50 plant-eating aphids daily, or up to 5,000 in its lifetime.
You can purchase bugs from growquest.com. 1,500 ladybugs will cost roughly $7 dollars and is the perfect amount for a medium to large garden.

5 comments:

Nicholas Cupps said...

I would have to strongly dissagree. Sorry to say and maybe I'm just retarded, but lady bugs don't just eat plant-eating aphids, they eat plants themselves. Densie doesn't like using pesdicides and wants to eventually grow an "organic" garden, but we have come to the realization that just using Seven (comon plant spray) a few times a year get's rid of everything and you get a much more productive crop. Maybe we could invent a super carnivorous bug that only eats other bugs. That would be awsome and I would definitely support such an undertaking. :)

Krista said...

Did you guys try using ladybugs in the garden? I didn't read anything about them eating the plants themselves. I like the idea of inventing a "super carnivorous bug". It should definitely look something like a black weevil. They are pretty tough lookin.

Nicholas Cupps said...

We have lady bugs who exist naturally in our area. There are different kinds of them, the worst being the yellow and black ones. They all eat the leaves and some times chew on the plant's fruit. Very annoying.

Krista said...

What I was reading said the lady "beetle" was the best for gardens. Not sure if that makes a difference.

mapacupps said...

Remember the thousands of lady-bugs in our house crawling all over the windows? I wonder why we had bug problems in the garden with all those ladybugs around. Maybe they were the bad ladybugs?
I have a dear spot for ladybugs though because Oma and I use to play in the Ladybug Golf tournament every summer.