Ever wonder where the term "litterbug" came from? Well, you can thank Keep America Beautiful (KAB) for coining this term. This organization was established in 1953 in direct response to the littering problem which developed along the Interstate Highway System. Maybe some of my "wiser" audience will remember this famous KAB ad created in 1971:

KAB has three main objectives: (1.) Litter Prevention, (2.) Waste Reduction & Recycling, and (3.) Beautifying communities across the nation. This organization is the largest community improvement organization in the United States and has assisted hundreds of thousands communities is this clean up effort.
So this blog is geared to give KAB some much deserved recognition and invite you to check out their website (kab.org). Their website can help you find recycling centers, volunteer programs, upcoming events in your area, and much much much more. Another thing I love about Keep America Beautiful, is their efforts to get kids involved in and excited about cleaning up and beautifying our country. If you have kids or take care of kids, Click Here to see a list of activities and tips for kids to think more environmentally friendly.
2 comments:
I checked out their website. I really like the section where you can put in what you want to recycle and where you live. We have big bins about a mile down the road for plastic, newspaper, and aluminum, but I don't know where to recycle those new light bulbs, batteries, or computers. Found all the info right there. Nice!
As a side note on the littering, we have a pretty good adopt-a-highway program here in Idaho, or at least I should say the people who sponsor it actually do a good job of keeping things cleaned up. I don't think I really ever appreciated that until I drove on the freeway through the Indiana-Chicago corridor. What a trash yard that was. Made me realize what a difference keeping trash picked makes not only on the beauty of the earth, but how safe a place feels and how clean you feel being there.
I remember the days we would throw our trash out the car window. shame on us! Then people wised up and the litter laws came in. We thought Oregon was crazy for putting a deposit on pop cans. But is sure cleaned up the highways. One doesn't throw out something they can get money back on.
Thanks for the website, lots of fun ideas.
Post a Comment