
On Friday night, a few of our friends hosted a pig roast at their house. Josh was recruited to help man the grill. He arrived at their house around 9 am on Friday to help dig the fire pit and to help prepare the pig for roasting. There was a miscommunication between the butcher and our friends. They ordered a whole 90 lbs big from a local farmer. Apparently in Dominica, a whole pig means all the meat cut up into four parts. The butcher still included the head, liver, etc but he had divided the pig in four pieces. This cultural miscommunication caused a major problem because we had no other means to cook 90 lbs of meat but over a fire. Not to mention a pig roast is mostly fun because you get to see the pig roasting over an open fire. Cooking a pig in an oven just isn't as cool! Josh put his surgeon skills to work and used chicken wire to sew the pig back together. You can see in the picture below how they also wrapped the pig in fencing wire to help keep the pig together. They used re barb poles from a nearby construction site to hold the pig up.

After around 6 hours of roasting, rotating the pig every 45 minutes, basting the pig in barbecue sauce and butter, and Josh constantly refilling the coals under the pig... the pig was nothing short of perfection. Everyone at the party was raving about how juicy and flavorful the meat was. Josh and our friend Court spent almost an hour being in their element. They cut the meat from the bones, feed guests who walked by and enjoyed consuming meat different than the monotony that is ground beef and chicken.


Dirty Dirty Boys

Josh was a dirty mess and he loved every minute of it!
5 comments:
Krista, that is so gross and sad. I can't even look at the pictures. Okay...it's sad but I'm only half serious about the pictures. Looks like an adventure.
The pig actually looked like a real person (or a dead one). I'm sure glad you enjoyed it, I would have had a hard time eating it. Josh's farming skills sure came in handy. Now I know who to call when I need some roasting expertise. At least you didn't have to heat up your kitchen.
I bet it tasted SO good!
AWESOME!!! So were they expecting a whole pig but instead got one cut into pieces? That's so funny that they sewed it back together. I love it! I bet it was so yummy. How great that you have such a crafty husband.
Thanks for the advice. I will ask her tomorrow morning why she's waking up so early. Maybe she'll give me a good answer. The drugs........I am so going to do. Also thanks for listening the other day. It really helped having you to talk to. I just wish it could have been face to face.
okay that last comment is from Kendall not Mom. I was just using her computer and didn't realize I was signed onto her account.
Post a Comment