Sunday, May 18, 2008

FINALLY... nearly perfect wheat bread!

Today, I accomplished a goal I have been working at for almost 6 months. Living in Dominica with limited resources has forced me to become more "domesticated" and perfect many of my baking skills. I have been using one of my mom's recipes for honey wheat bread but have found little success. The bread usually tastes fine but sometimes the bread will not rise, will remain doughy in the middle, and most frequently the loaf will collapse in the middle. My wheat bread usually looked like a heart with a square bottom. Last night, I did some research on the internet. I read some great pointers from other bakers such as adding gluten flour to help with rising and using special bread wheat flour. But of course here in Dominica, gluten flour is nonexistent and if I can find any type of wheat flour, it is a good day! After further investigation, I realized how important kneading is in helping the bread to rise. (I know duh!) I usually just kneaded the bread for a few minutes until it looked blended. Today I decided to knead the bread to death. After about 10 minutes, my arms were killing me! The second tip I decided to experiment with is to avoid over rising the bread. According to the recipe I have, I am suppose to let the dough rise first for over 2 hours. But I think living in an extremely hot and humid climate causes the dough to rise more quickly. Usually the dough is just overflowing in the bowl so today I decided to just let the dough double... about an hour rise.
ANYWAY, to make an already long story shorter here is my beautiful, delicious bread!!!

It may not look like much to some of you but to me, it is a huge success. Perfecting this skill has been a dream of mine since I started making bread and after A LOT of mediocre loaves... I have finally found my niche!

I wish you all could taste it! I am a happy girl tonight!

5 comments:

Kate said...

YAY for you!!! Your mom has been bragging about how awesome you are with making everything from scratch. That bread looks SOOO tasty.
You know I recently started making wheat bread too. But, HELLO, I have all of the conveniences of home. I have found that freshly milled flour makes it SO good. You'll have to get a mill when you get home. And I add gluten and sometimes dough enhancer. I can send you some gluten. It's pretty expensive even in the US... I can't imagine the expense down there (if you could ever find it). It looks like you've perfected your recipe without it... but I'll still send some if you want.
I'm so impressed. You are amazing!

Courtney Herda said...

Yay for you! Way to go! I know how important this was for you so well done! It looks delicious!

Krista said...

Thanks all! Kate, don't worry about sending the gluten. It would cost you over 20 dollars to send it and that just isn't worth it. Thanks for the offer though. I will have something to look forward to when I come home!

mapacupps said...

I am a proud mother! I guess I have taken my kitchen aid mixer for granted. I don't have to knead for 10 minutes, that's too much of a workout. Take your bread to the shacks and sell it. You will make lots.

Kendall said...

Good Job, Krista!! I still can't believe all the different things you can do when it comes to baking. I am so impressed. When you get back to the states you are going to have to teach me all your tricks (because we will be living close to each other...duh!).