Monday, May 12, 2008

Back to our old routine

I apologize for not updating my blog. My mom was doing a fantastic job recording our events during their visit. Josh and I had fun assuming the role of host. This was the first time my parents had visited us as a married independent couple. All the sudden we were in charge! What a great and eye-opening experience.

Josh started classes today. He is officially a second year medical student. We have been frustrated with the school because of their lack of communication and organization. One example: The dean of students sent an email last night, the night before classes began, informing students of their intent to change when lectures will be posted on mediasite. Mediasite allows students to watch lectures through the Internet directly after the lecture was presented. Many advantages of mediasite include double speeding slower professors, pausing the lecture for note taking, re-watch lectures, watch miss lectures, etc. For extenuating circumstances, the school will grant students access to mediasite from the states. Now, mediasite won't be updated as frequently. The email gave no explanation for the change. We assume they are trying to encourage more students to attend the actual lecture. Ironically though, if every student attended the lecture, around 50-100 students would have to stand due to a lack of seating. We are merely frustrated with the lack of communication. We deal with these types of inconveniences daily so they amount to a migraine!

On a lighter note, we have made friends with the man who is painting our apartment complex. His name is Hendrix, like Jimi. We give him drinks and talk to him while he works. Yesterday, he promised Josh a coconut in the morning. Sure enough, we received a knock at the door around 6:45am. Of course Josh and I were still asleep! Hendrix had a huge coconut in hand. He carved a hole in the top so we could drink the milk. I was very surprised how much coconut milk tastes like fresh water. Hendrix says it is great for your digestive system and even helps "clean you out!" Later, we both agreed with him!!!! After we drank the milk, Hendrix walked home with the coconut where he used his machete to chop the coconut in half. Fresh coconut tastes very different than the packaged, sugarcoated coconut I have eaten.

Does anyone know what I can do with fresh coconut? According to Hendrix, I only have two days to use the coconut once opened. So hurry with any suggestions!!

Hope all is well. I will take pictures soon.

2 comments:

mapacupps said...

We had a great time and you guys were wonderful hosts. Get on foodnetwork.com type in 'fresh coconut', there were several recipes.

Kendall said...

Well I'm glad the coconut could "clean you out." That's always nice to hear. I actually love the name Hendrix. I might just use it someday.