So last Saturday, Josh and Sam had a hospital related function to attend in Saginaw until the afternoon. They were volunteering at a skin cancer clinic, something that will look good on their resumes. So that left Katrina and I to drive our 16' truck and my car with the two dogs to Chicago and unload both in the city by ourselves. Now, we are both strong women... don't get me wrong. But when you add into the equation two puppies, a new city, moving into a second floor of a midrise condo, and illegally parking a 16' truck along a city street filled with everything Josh and I own, I get stressed! So to make a long story shorter, I finally parked the truck in an acceptable area (with only a few new scratches to the truck!) Katrina and I started unloading the truck into the basement of the building so we didn't have to leave the truck unattended. After our first trip inside, we come back out to the truck and were promptly greeted by a homeless man looking for work. He kindly introduced himself, told us that we was looking to earn money for him and his daughter and wanted to help us move. Now, since it was just me and Katrina (again we ARE very strong women) I was still a bit uncomfortable with the idea of this stranger moving our stuff. So I just offered him a small amount of money and told him we could handle it on our own. Earl, our soon to be friend, would not accept the money. He said, "I want to work for that money. I will not bother you two and I won't bother your belongings. I just want to earn some money by helping you move." So after we opened the back of the truck, realizing that we really could use some help, we agreed. And we were SO grateful Earl offered to help. He was such a hard worker; never complaining and never resting. Katrina decided to start bringing our stuff up to the second floor while I stayed with Earl and unloaded the truck into the basement. We were finished unloading the truck in just under two hours and Earl walked away with 10 times the amount of money I originally offered him. I am still impressed by his work ethic and appreciation for allowing him to earn some money.
Katrina and Sam could only stay until Sunday afternoon. But they helped us arrange furniture, unpack boxes, and clean until we were all too tired to even move. I really can't thank them enough for helping us with the move.
So Chicago has been a bit of an adjustment, especially for the dogs. Two walks a day does not cut it for two puppies use to a daily trip to a dog park in Michigan. We have discovered lots of people in our neighborhood creating dogs parks where ever they can find a spot... in the tennis courts, in a small area of a park, by the playground behind a school. These pseudo-dog parks are all just a couple blocks from our house. It has really helped me keep my sanity! On nice days and when we have free time, we take the dogs up to a dog beach just north of the city. This beach is roughly 3 football fields in size and is completely fenced off. Hundreds of dogs come and play off leash in the sand and in Lake Michigan. Montrose beach is heavenly for us and our dogs!
And we have already had our first visitor. Here are some pictures of Nick's visit. Visitors are always welcome!!



4 comments:
Man I miss you guys. I wish I could have been there to take part in eating that delicious deep dish pizza!! Yummy!!
That was a fun newsy post to read! Thanks for updating us. We're glad you're settled in Chicago. What a fun place to live... even if it's for a short time. So glad you found Earl and that he ended up being a good guy!
I love to hear about your "strong woman" stories. You have always been the resourceful one in the family- take after your mom I guess. Hope we can get up to Chicago to visit while you are there.
Can't wait to visit you in May!! I miss you guys too. I really wish we all lived closer to each other.
Love you
Post a Comment