Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Baltimore, MD

We arrived in Baltimore without complications and we are settling in. We are so fortunate to have had our friends Greg and Amy here when we arrived, mostly because Greg owns a truck!! He helped us promptly purchase our first bed, first couch, first television, and even let us borrow some of their furniture he placed in storage.

Josh and I were hesitant to sign the lease when we arrived because the exterior of the apartment complex is quite unsightly. The hallway leading up to our apartment smells vaguely like an old wet gym sock. It appeared that our luck with apartment complexes had finally run its course. But we signed the lease anyway (since we only had two days before Josh started his clerkship and since the rent was very inexpensive for living in Baltimore). Josh promised to buy me some pepper spray for protection!! The first few days we felt a bit edgy but having Amy and Greg here calmed our nerves. Two weeks later, we feel at home. Especially since this is our first home as a married couple that we have purchased our own furniture together. It makes a difference! This will be our home until the end of July. We are still waiting to receive Josh's Step 1 scores. His score will help determine where we are moving next. (Hopefully back to Saginaw, MI)


We are always welcoming visitors and don't be deterred by my previous comments! Baltimore, like most cities, has areas to avoid but we don't live in one. And in fact, downtown Baltimore (the inner harbor) is one of the most beautiful inner cities I have seen. Plus we only live about an hour from Washington DC for all you history enthusiasts. My goal is to visit DC at least 5 times while I am here (already one down). Maybe I will just bump into Barack and Michelle Obama on the street... you can't blame a girl for dreaming!

I thought this picture was funny....
How many future doctors does it take to build a grill?!
~If you want it to take an hour, then two ;)

4 comments:

Nicholas Cupps said...

Looks really nice. It is always a fun experience to settle into your first place together and actually start accumulating all the "crap" that will follow you around for the rest of your life. :)

Jeanne said...

Cute apartment! My cousin lives in Baltimore. We're thinking of taking a trip to DC & then stopping to see him once school is out & before Miah leaves for his mission - no call yet. We'll have to be in touch & stop to see you. Glad to see you're all settled in!

Kendall said...

Your place looks great from the inside at least. I wish I could visit at least one of your homes. I didn't see Dominica, or Michigan and I probably won't see Baltimore either. Man, I am really slacking.

Colleen Noble said...

Your apartment looks so cute! I loved settling in to our first apartment in VA. I highly recommend taking in an Oriel's game while you are there. It is one of my favorite, if not my very favorite ballpark. Get there early to hang out around the park...it's a really fun atmosphere, and I think you and Josh would love it. Enjoy your new digs!
Colleen