Sunday, October 5, 2008

Roast and Mashed Potatoes

Before I flew back to Dominica from my visit in Ohio, I decided to attempt to freeze and carry on some meat and cheese. I contacted TSA to ensure my frozen sour cream would not cause any security issues. TSA responded with a long letter outlining their policies and procedures which basically stated that TSA tries not to limit travelers from carrying on foods. I didn't know this. Much to my surprise as well, I was allowed to keep my ice in my cooler.

The content of my cooler included: 2 chuck roasts, hot Italian sausage, ham, sharp cheddar cheese, and 2 small containers of sour cream. I individually wrapped all the meat in plastic and then in newspaper for insulation. In retrospect, I wish I had brought more. When I got to San Juan, I had to stay the night in a hotel. I was worried that the meat might thaw out but it was a risk I was willing to take. When I got to my room, I opened up the cooler to find the meat was still rock hard.

To make a long story short, everything in my cooler made it safely to Dominica with me. The meat was outside of a freezer for roughly 36 hours and remained completely frozen. I guess newspaper is a good insulator. So today, I am making roast and mashed potatoes!!!! Josh has his first test of the semester tomorrow so I thought a nice hearty Sunday dinner would be perfect. I'll let you know if it turns out...

UPDATE:

Oh yes... it was delicious. Josh and I both feel ill right now... totally worth it.


5 comments:

mapacupps said...

That looks sooo good. Was the meat really tender?Now what are you going to have to look forward to when you guys move back?

Justin and Liz said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! Krista I am EXTREMELY jealous of yall right now!
ENJOY!!!

Krista said...

Real milk and more meat... and restaurants!

Kate said...

No way! I had no idea you could take meat and it would stay frozen. How awesome!!
Regarding your last post, you should read my sister's true and funny story on her blog about why not everyone should vote. It's at saratheblogger.blogspot.com. Like Rush says, "The most expensive commodity in our nation is ignorance."
And finally... we DID get your email and I WILL work on your request soon. Promise.

Kendall said...

Okay...how do you cook your roast? Because everytime I have made a roast it's dry and tough. What the heck?!?! Your roast looks delicious. I'm really glad everything made it safely to Dominica. I was actually wondering how it worked.