
Today, I am feeling the weight of both the national and local election. The news coverage on the presidential election occupies a lot of my time during the day. This is my second presidential election that I am eligible to cast my vote and I have worked hard to increase my awareness. This is the time when people are forced to confront issues that are nearest to their heart and decide which campaign is worthy of your support. For me, this is a very taxing process because all my personal beliefs don't necessarily fall into one category. I do know more about the candidates than I did 4 years ago but that is bitter sweet. I think it is easier to just assume you fall into a particular political party or framework of beliefs than to really explore how your personal beliefs align with a candidate.
I remember during my freshman year at Utah, when I was forced to challenge what I thought I knew. I took an American Constitution class. On the first day, the professor handed us a sheet of paper. The sheet had numbers one - ten in rows with a topic on either side of the numbers. For example:
The sheet consisted of a comprehensive list of political issues. Each topic was a defining characteristic of either the Republican party or the Democratic party. Before I took the test, when anyone would ask me what political party I fell into or what issues I supported, I couldn't answer with any conviction. I always assumed my parents were Republican so I guess I assumed that I must be too! I also was pretty ignorant about political issues before college. I had a few encounters with sensitive political issues but I never grouped myself into a political party. In high school, I did my senior project on gay adoption. My project focused on both sides of the issue, why a gay or lesbian couple should have the right to adopt a child and why not. And I just remember really struggling to argue against a couples right to adopt a child. I struggled with the idea that some one's sexuality could make them unfit parents. Throughout my upbringing, I was taught that homosexuality was wrong. But my upbringing also taught me the importance of free agency, my right to choose what path I want to take. So in my mind (as a high schooler) I vividly remember forming the opinion that I can have my own views on homosexuality (even if they are different from what I was taught) and that I can, in the same breath, support that individual's right to decide that for themselves. But aside from this project, I didn't give much thought to my political opinions before college...
The test took a few weeks for our professor (and his teaching assistants) to calculate our results. I remember receiving my sheet back and was stunned when I read "Slightly Democratic". I am Democratic?! How did that happen?! I think I was only slightly democratic because on many issues, I remember choosing either a 3 or 8. I wasn't entirely for or against an issue but definitely leaned towards one side.
So I found an online test that is similar to the one I took 4 years ago. The test only takes about 10 minutes and your results are instantaneous. I hope you enjoy the test. It was generated by a non-partisan organization. Let me know what you think, especially if your results surprised you.
Thanks for reading my thoughts.
I remember during my freshman year at Utah, when I was forced to challenge what I thought I knew. I took an American Constitution class. On the first day, the professor handed us a sheet of paper. The sheet had numbers one - ten in rows with a topic on either side of the numbers. For example:
Against Abortion Rights : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 : For Abortion Rights
The sheet consisted of a comprehensive list of political issues. Each topic was a defining characteristic of either the Republican party or the Democratic party. Before I took the test, when anyone would ask me what political party I fell into or what issues I supported, I couldn't answer with any conviction. I always assumed my parents were Republican so I guess I assumed that I must be too! I also was pretty ignorant about political issues before college. I had a few encounters with sensitive political issues but I never grouped myself into a political party. In high school, I did my senior project on gay adoption. My project focused on both sides of the issue, why a gay or lesbian couple should have the right to adopt a child and why not. And I just remember really struggling to argue against a couples right to adopt a child. I struggled with the idea that some one's sexuality could make them unfit parents. Throughout my upbringing, I was taught that homosexuality was wrong. But my upbringing also taught me the importance of free agency, my right to choose what path I want to take. So in my mind (as a high schooler) I vividly remember forming the opinion that I can have my own views on homosexuality (even if they are different from what I was taught) and that I can, in the same breath, support that individual's right to decide that for themselves. But aside from this project, I didn't give much thought to my political opinions before college...
The test took a few weeks for our professor (and his teaching assistants) to calculate our results. I remember receiving my sheet back and was stunned when I read "Slightly Democratic". I am Democratic?! How did that happen?! I think I was only slightly democratic because on many issues, I remember choosing either a 3 or 8. I wasn't entirely for or against an issue but definitely leaned towards one side.
So I found an online test that is similar to the one I took 4 years ago. The test only takes about 10 minutes and your results are instantaneous. I hope you enjoy the test. It was generated by a non-partisan organization. Let me know what you think, especially if your results surprised you.
Thanks for reading my thoughts.
The Test:
14 comments:
I took the test. It was interesting. I was glad to see that I fell right in the upper right section that I thought I would and assumed I would. I think that so many people are influenced by their families or the media or their friends... so it's refreshing to know that you have taken such an interest in figuring out your own opinions, not basing them on anyone else. Good for you! Even if we may disagree on lots of things.... :)
I appreciate your comments Kate. I was a little concerned as to what you might write because we do disagree on some issues :) Thanks for taking the quiz.
I took the test too. Man I think I need to find out who I really am. I ended up on the left side on the middle line. What does that mean? Can I go home? Help!
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28
Headed toward Friedman.
Mom, Take the quiz again and read your analysis. The left side is the democratic side. But it just depends on how far over you are.
Economic Left/Right: -1.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
Pretty much what I expected. What would be interesting to see is how different these readings are in non-election years.
Thanks Krista.
Since some of you shared your scores, I thought I would share mine. This is from my third time taking the test:
Economic left/right: -3.38
Libertarian/ Authoritarian: -5.18
I'm close to the Dalai Lama!!
Since you're all posting your results...
Economic Left/Right: 1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.74
I'm a total righty. :) Q did this too. I wonder why he hasn't commented.
What a different family we are. Economic -4.62 Social 1.95
My dot landed right on Ghandi! Can't go wrong there...
Not to stir trouble or anything, but SO GLAD I'm not anywhere near the Bush dot...
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67
No surprises for me, just further proof I'm very much a Democrat especially when it comes to economic issues. And I'm pleased that I'm so close to two of my heros: Nelson Mandela and Gandhi
Kristin, I never knew you were a democrat. I am glad I am not the only "extreme" one! Good to hear from you.
Yep, I guess our family has two black sheep! I've considered myself a Democrat for about 7 years now. I started to make the shift from right to left in High School. Ironically it was my American Heritage class at BYU that gave me the biggest push towards the left (the unbalanced and biased portrayal of American politics and economics in the class really ticked me off and caused me to research and rethink my beliefs).
Yep, we are the black sheeps although I do know of a few more closeted lefties in our family!!! I remember Opa's reaction when I told him I voted for Kerry. It is funny how talking about politics is so taboo except during an election. I probably would have never known this about you without blogs and the election.
Post a Comment