Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Moving to Baltimore

We are officially moving to Baltimore, Maryland on May 2nd.  Josh got accepted into a 12 week Internal Medicine rotation.  This is considered a "special" rotation because Josh starts the rotation before receiving his Step 1 scores.  Josh takes his first medical licensing exam (USMLE Step 1) on May 1st.   Most medical students have to wait the dreaded 2-8 weeks to receive their life-changing Step scores.  Fortunately, this special rotation gives Josh a "head start".  We are still hoping to end up back in Saginaw in August to complete Josh's remaining rotations.  We are keeping our fingers crossed.  

If anyone has lived in Maryland, I could definitely use some help finding an affordable, safe apartment that accepts short term leases.  Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Med School Information and Dates, if you are interested!:
-3rd and 4th year medical students are required to complete 48 weeks of "core rotations" (internal medicine, ER, family, psychiatry, OBGYN, and surgery) as well as a 30 weeks of elective rotations, which can consist of any sub specialty that the medical student is interested in.  Basically, the next two years will be Josh's big introduction into clinical medical and a hands on exploration of a variety of specialties.  This is the stage where most future doctors determine which field of medicine they wish to pursue.  
- In March 2011, Josh will enter into the national "Match".  Every graduated medical student throughout the United States enters the same Match.  (Unless the student is able to make prior arrangements with a Residency program).   The Match is designed to match graduated medical students with a Residency program at a particular hospital.  


4 comments:

mapacupps said...

Good Luck Josh, we know how hard you are studying and wish you the best. We also are enjoying having you guys with us, even though it is for a shorter time then we thought.

Karen said...

I'm so proud of you!! Wish I could see more of you guys. Can't wait until you get to Maryland so I can plan a trip up to see you. Good luck on your test - (psst...I know you'll do well) Love you both.

Brett and Kellie Burtenshaw said...

Krista! That is so GREAT! Congrats to Josh!!! We are always wondering about you guys! I have an aunt tht lives up that way I will ask her is she knows anything about Maryland and if she can help out.
We really miss you guys! I may be visiting my aunt in Main and Bretts sister in Boston maybe I could swing your way... Hopefully!

Krista Adamow said...

Sounds Great Kellie!!!!